Window curtains: How to choose types, features of models
Window curtains complete the decor of the room’s interior. The type of window curtains determines the atmosphere in the room. When choosing a material and model, you should adhere to the general style and purpose of the room. Inappropriate curtains can ruin the overall experience, even with the good renovation and quality furniture.
Characteristics of fabrics, the color of window curtains, selection rules
Before buying window curtains, you need to think about the density and shape of the canvas fabric. The dimensions of the window opening and the functionality of the room should be taken into account:
- Cropped or asymmetric curtains that will not interfere with cooking are suitable for the kitchen (they use practical fabrics with the addition of polyester).
- In the bedroom, you should choose a dense fabric for window curtains, which will protect from the rays of the sun and prying eyes (textiles are chosen for the interior design of the room: jacquard, cotton with polyester, linen, taffeta, silk, brocade).
- In the living room, you can choose lush models to create a sense of celebration (many people often gather in the guest room, a fabric that is easily washed is suitable: viscose, velour, linen, silk). Velvet and brocade make a good drapery and lambrequin.
- In the nursery, bright textiles are often used (natural, breathable fabrics: linen, cotton). The drawing on the window curtains can be any, the main thing is that the child likes it.
Light and short models can enlarge the room, give it airiness. Thick, dark, and long curtains hide the space.
The shade of the curtains should match the color scheme of the room and the layout of the apartment:
- window curtains can be a bright accent in a room. Rich colors of paintings are selected, which are repeated in interior details: bedspreads and blankets, pillowcases for pillows on a sofa or bed, a shade or print of furniture upholstery, carpet, picture frames, wallpaper, lamp base.
- For a calm interior, pastel shades are suitable. The universal colors are beige, white, light gray, milky, cream.
- You can choose a color similar to the wall decoration – one, two tones lighter or darker. This solution is ideal for a small space.
- Patterned curtains are suitable for monochrome interiors.
- Monochrome models without ornaments will decorate a contrasting, bright room.
- The color of the curtains can be a single accent in the room. In this case, the shade should be combined with the color scheme and interior items.
- For windows facing north, it is better to use curtains in warm colors.
- For a sunny, southern room, cold shades with an increased density of the canvas are suitable
When choosing a fabric for curtains, you need to start from personal taste and the declared characteristics of textiles: waterproofness, resistance to sunlight and chemicals, density, ability to absorb odors, the possibility of draping, fire resistance, ease of maintenance (crease resistance of the material, can curtain be ironed and washed).
Consider the types of window curtains, two main groups:
- window curtains are dense fabrics with or without lining. They can completely block the light in the room. Popular representatives: jacquard, chenille, velvet, tapestry, linen.
- window curtains are light, thin, translucent, or transparent fabrics. They go well with curtain canvases or can serve as a single decoration of a window opening. Representatives: organza, muslin, veil, tulle, chiffon, linen, cotton.
When combining window curtains, you need to adhere to the balance of color and harmonious combination of patterns. You should not choose a catchy shade or print for two representatives of curtains. You can highlight tulle with saturated color, add pastel curtains to it, and vice versa.
Types of window curtains in the interior
Curtains not only protect from the sun, but also help keep the room warm, hide the flaws in the finish, and transform the space:
- for a room in the modern or minimalist style, it is better to take Roman or roller curtains;
- the classic interior will be complemented by blackout curtains to the floor with drapery, lambrequins, and grabs;
- in a rustic style, shortened, light models are appropriate;
- for the country, a pattern in a symmetrical cage is suitable, for Provence – a floral print;
- empire and baroque will decorate textiles with gold or silver embroidery.
The type of window curtains, first of all, depends on the style of the room. Curtains can be replaced with blinds, for the manufacture of which metal and plastic are often used, less often: wood, fabric, or thick paper. Blinds fit perfectly into the high-tech interior.
Types of window curtains depending on the structure and shape:
The classic version of curtains is symmetrical, rectangular canvases with even folds (drapery). Products are sewn from curtain fabric, most often these are floor-length models that cover the entire width of the window. Expensive fabrics are used as material: silk, jacquard, satin, Damascus. Decorate classic curtains with tacks, fringes, scallops, and (or) lambrequins. The model is suitable for neoclassicism, baroque, rococo, empire style.
Rolled models – a straight web with a weighting agent at the bottom. Rolled curtains are collected in a roll at the top of the window frame, taking up a minimum of space. They have a spring, chain, or automated mechanism. They have different colors and patterns. By structure, cassette and open ones are distinguished. The first ones cost more, they are necessarily equipped with a guide. A popular option is a day-night model, which consists of a combination of sheer and dense fabric. Rolled window curtains will suit high-tech, techno, modern, minimalism interiors. In neoclassicism, light roller blinds can be combined with curtains and replace tulle. In eco-style, bamboo or linen fibers are used instead of fabric.
Roman – similar to roll, but have several differences. The canvas is divided into equal sections by several sewn, vertical strips of rigid material. Types of Roman blinds: classic – when the window curtains are raised, it gathers in folds (accordion), cascading – folds remain even when the curtain is fully opened. You can adjust the flow of light into the room by setting the desired curtain length. Curtains can consist of two fabrics: one replaces the curtain, the other – the curtain. Suitable for any interior due to the variety of colors and textures.
Japanese – straight, vertical, screen panels, covered with fabric, moving depending on the guides. Suitable for a large, panoramic window. At the bottom, the structure is equipped with a weighting agent, so the canvases are always in perfect condition. In Japan, such window curtains are called screens and are used for zoning space. Monochrome models are used in a minimalist interior. For a Japanese-style room, screens with a sakura pattern are used.
French – resemble a waterfall of folds of fabric. Often, textiles are decorated with beads, ruffles, lace, elastic drapery. Equipped with a rotary chain mechanism. The more the canvas is pulled together, the more magnificent it becomes. Previously, French curtains were used to decorate windows in castles and palaces, so the option of window curtains is ideal for an imperial-style room.
Austrian – long canvases with flounces at the bottom. The design is similar to the French model, but unlike it, the folds on the canvas are formed only when the curtain is raised. At the same time, the upper part of the canvas remains flat, at the bottom the curtain turns into draped, vertical sections. The model is popular in classic styles.
English is similar to Austrian. For window curtains, wider canvases are used, not only with horizontal, but also opposite vertical folds. Cascading curtains are distinguished by their laconicism and calm pattern. Will easily fit into the classic English style of the room. They will look luxurious with natural, wooden furniture.
Pleated – similar to blinds, thanks to the folds in the fabric. Practical and functional model. The canvases are resistant to dirt and dust, do not fade in the sun, keeping their original appearance for a long time. They perfectly block the light. Suitable for small windows, can be hung at any height of the window opening.
Thread window curtains (muslin) – threads of different texture, intertwined with each other. They are used in interiors of ethnic style, high-tech, neoclassicism. Products with beads and glass beads look especially creative. Thread curtains do not protect from the sun; they perform a decorative function in the interior. Also suitable for space zoning. Often the model is hung near the bed or in the doorway.
Italian – identical with classic curtains. But if in the classic version the curtains move freely along the width of the window, then in the Italian version it will not work to open the curtain completely. The curtains are fixed, the amount of light entering the room is regulated using hooks or cords tightening towards the corners of the cornice.
Cafe curtains – non-standard canvas. Types of cafe curtains: a shortened version – the curtain covers only the lower and (or) the upper part of the window, hourglass – the canvas for the entire window is gathered in the middle with a textile tape. Attached “cafe” to a window opening or frame. Often used to decorate rustic rooms.
window curtains decor, fastening methods, examples in interiors
Roman, roller blinds, and blinds are often fastened with brackets. They are usually sold complete with special installation parts.
Ways of attaching curtains made of fabric:
- rings – put on the bar, and the curtain is attached to a hook, clip, or clothespin at the bottom of the ring;
- braid – a canvas with a sewn-in curtain tape at the top of the canvas, which can regulate the degree of drapery of the fabric (the curtain is strung on a bar or attached to hooks made of aluminum or plastic);
- loops – sewn at the top of the canvas, through which the cornice passes later (often the loops are decorated with appliqués, they are distinguished: blind loops and with a fastener – Velcro, a button);
- ties – at the top of the curtain are textile ribbons, with which the canvas is attached to the cornice (you can use simple knots for this or decorative ones in the form of a bow);
- drawstring – a special pocket for the cornice, used for light fabrics;
- magnets – the fastening of the canvas occurs due to the fixation of magnets hanging on the base of the cornice (sometimes magnets are combined with various types of decorative clips).
More often, ready-made fabric curtains are attached to the cornice using a wide ribbon with several loops. If you ask to make a product to order, you can choose the most suitable mount and curtain design, based on the style of the interior:
- for a long cloth with drapery in a modern interior, eyelets are suitable for fastening;
- retro-style curtains can be hung with clips or ties;
- for a classic interior, magnetic clamps, ropes with tassels, jewelry grabs are suitable;
- for a children’s room, pickups in the form of toys are usually chosen;
- for the imperial style, swag, frill, bandeau, perekidy and chill mold are used as curtain decor;
- curtains in the Provence room will decorate ruffles, textiles, and knitted tie-backs.
Which cornice is better
In addition to the characteristics of the fabric, attention should be paid to the cornice. The design must fit the curtain and the interior of the room.
- Among the wooden representatives, the most popular option is the classic rod, there is also a more expensive model with a massive bar on the front side, decorative carvings. Suitable for a country house from a bar or in a room in the style of eco, country, Provence, minimalism. The eaves can be of any color: from white to black. Dark ones are ideal for classics, empire, and baroque.
- Forged – due to a large number of varieties, metal structures are used in the design of any modern interior. Especially popular in loft and high-tech style. The cornices have interesting decor: angular connectors, plugs, tips. Possible colors: bronze, bleached gold, copper, stainless steel, onyx, black, satin.
- Plastic structures can mimic a wooden cornice. The base of a thin sheet of metal is covered with a film resembling the texture of a tree. The rest of the components are made of plastic.
- There are models for recess mounting, equipped with a special groove for fixing a decorative tape that will hide the rollers and curtain hooks. The main advantage of plastic models is the low price.
- Strings – used for lightweight curtains. Classification according to the material: strong threads, stainless steel, polymers, metal cables. Will look harmoniously in techno, hi-tech, country, province, minimalism style room. The string construction is practically invisible, often used in small spaces.
The color of the cornice depends on the wall finish and the type of curtain. For a small space, it is better to choose light, laconic models that will not attract attention.
A few more tips:
- a dark cornice looks beautiful in combination with light curtains, or you can choose tones that are close to each other;
- eaves holders should dissolve in the color scheme of the room, often a shade close to the wall decoration or identical to the base of the eaves is chosen;
- to create maximum privacy and good protection from the sun, a two-tier cornice, which is equipped with a rounded track or bar, will help;
- the cornice should correspond to the density and size of the curtains, you should not hang light curtains on massive structures.
The installation of the eaves depends on the type of window curtains. Installation methods: on a wall, ceiling, window opening. A curtain fixed to the ceiling will visually increase the height of the room. Roman, roller blinds, and blinds can be installed on the window sash
In order not to get confused when choosing textiles for a window, you need to think about what functions the curtain will perform. Residents of the first floor are advised to choose curtains made of thick fabric to protect themselves from prying eyes. Suitable for decorative window decoration: Austrian, French, Italian, classic, muslin. Practical types of window curtains: roller, Roman, pleated. The design of the canvas must fit the interior, and the dimensions of the curtains must correspond to the width of the window opening.