Round table – comfort and style for your room
The round table, unlike its rectangular counterpart, is undeservedly relegated to the background and is rarely present in furniture renovation plans. Meanwhile, the round table in the interior is just as functional and comfortable, and with the appropriate design, it can become the main element of the room.
Pros and cons of the round table
To think about purchasing a round table, it is enough to remember its merits:
- The compact design makes the best use of the square footage of the kitchen or dining room. The number of seats will be maximum compared to a rectangular structure of the same dimensions.
- Lack of corners that not only children but also adults periodically stumble upon.
- A pleasant atmosphere accompanying every lunch or dinner. Those gathered at the meal see the faces, not the profiles of the neighbors.
- Design value. A round table in the interior of a kitchen or living room is a non-standard and elegant solution.
The disadvantage of the design is the impossibility of placing it close to the wall – the round tabletop will touch the wall at one point, and the place on the sides will “walk”. The second significant disadvantage is the instability of the round table, although this is not a problem for all models.
Types of the round table
In addition to a standard, constant size, manufacturers offer advanced designs that allow you to effectively manage space. Resizable models are necessary if the house has a small kitchen or living room, and guests are often invited.
For the folding version to serve for a long time, all elements of the transformation mechanism must be metal. By design features, folding structures are divided into the following types:
- Sliding (transformer). This option is more expensive than the others. The tabletop consists of several parts. When assembled, some of the elements are hidden under the outer surface. When the table needs to be enlarged, the outer elements move to the sides, and the hidden ones rise and fill the area.
- Folding (table-book). When assembled, the side parts (with additional legs) are lowered down. When guests are expected, both sides rise. The rest of the time, it can be installed close to the wall by lowering one part.
- For a small kitchen. The round table for the kitchen in the interior does not fit into every space. In a small room, a truncated version is relevant – a semicircular model. Less common is a model attached with a flat side to a wall or window sill. When folded, such a tabletop does not take up space but is installed in the working position using a support leg.
Materials of the round table
The nice thing about round tables is that they are compatible with any design. The main thing to do is to choose the right material and color for the countertop. On sale there are products from the following materials:
- Tree. A classic, solid, and durable option. The pattern and texture of the surface depend on the raw materials used: solid pine, birch, ash, oak. The wooden round table in the living room interior needs periodic maintenance, it is varnished and polished.
Imitation wood. Inexpensive countertops are made from fiberboard and chipboard. The budget option (which is better to refuse) is laminated chipboard. The material absorbs water well, which is why it quickly deforms, moreover, it emits toxic formaldehyde. Veneered MDF is a better material: durable and with a wide range of colors and textures.
- Glass. A glass tabletop does not visually clutter up space, and therefore is relevant for a small room. For its manufacture, a particularly durable red-hot triplex is used, sometimes colored or matte.
- Plastic. Plastic products are lightweight, easy to clean, and have a variety of appearances. Unfortunately, they do not fit into all styles.
- Rare options. Rarely are countertops made of metal, stone, or mosaic tiles. As a rule, such products are made to order and are not cheap. In addition to the impressive decor, they are distinguished by a long service life and unpretentious maintenance.
Color of the round table
The color of the table is determined exclusively by the interior and the taste of the owners. A kitchen or living room with a round table will look more interesting if you choose chairs that differ in tone from the tabletop (lighter or darker). Popular colors are:
- White. The white table makes the interior a little sterile (unless it’s minimalism). Milky or creamy shades are perceived much more positively.
Brown (natural wood). A versatile dining color, cozy and familiar with many variations. Brown models fit into all styles, from Provence and country to loft and Scandinavian.
- The black. In certain styles (modern, high-tech), black furniture looks sophisticated, in others it is ridiculous. In the right environment, a black table can become a highlight of the interior.
- Gray. One-stop solution; the gray tabletop is combined with all colors; looks organic in both classic and ultra-modern environments.
- Colors of the rainbow. The installation of a bright (yellow, red, blue) table is justified if it plays a major role in the interior of the room. For the best effect, the environment should be contrasting in color.
How to choose
When choosing the round table, take into account the following parameters:
- The format and size of the room. First of all, they estimate the area of the room in which it is planned to put the table. In a small room, the corner area will be the best place. If the kitchen or living room is large, a massive model is appropriate.
- Family size. A round dining table is usually purchased for a small family. A model designed for 8 or more people will be too large for easy communication.
- Product features. The main factors are the design and material of the countertop. If there is not much space, and you like to invite guests, purchasing a transforming table will help.
The dimensions of the round table are related to the number of seats. The option for two has a diameter of no more than 60 cm. For a family of 4, a model with a diameter of 100-120 cm is suitable, for 8 – 150 cm. If 10-12 guests will gather at the table, a model with a diameter of 170-180 cm will be needed.
Table and style
Although the round-shaped models fit into any interior, there are some restrictions on the choice of material and colors:
- In a classic interior. The tabletop is made of unpainted solid wood. Dark color gives solidity to the product, light color – elegance.
- In an informal interior. In the living room, a Provence or shabby chic wooden table, painted with white paint, possibly with a worn effect, looks dignified. Legs can be carved or curved; the original version is forged or rattan poles.
- In modern styles. Models with thin wood worktops are recommended. The glass or plastic version will visually look smaller than its actual size. A plastic table, complemented by the same chairs, will be an excellent option for a high-tech or minimalist living room (dining room, kitchen).
A round table is a great (and relatively inexpensive) opportunity to add a touch of originality to an interior. A model of a suitable size and design will decorate not only a spacious living room in a country house but also a kitchen in a standard three-room apartment. The round table has an interesting feature: the central part of the tabletop is convenient to use for decoration – a flower arrangement or a fruit bowl.